- Warm, smooth and detailed classic ribbon sound
- Full and rich tonality with generous highs and lows
- Sonically similar to the legendary R44 Series, with less proximity effect
- Versatile in close-range or ambient applications
- Active R84A version has 12dB level increase and is optimized for all preamps
- Made in the U.S.A.
The R84 series’ balanced and manageable proximity effect bolsters the low-end of vocals, drums, and brass, from just feet away. A ribbon mic as multi-purpose, lightweight, and maneuverable as the R84 is well-suited for both close-range and ambient mic applications.
The R84A retains the same sonic character of the R84 but offers an additional 12dB of output and a stable impedance that allows flexibility when recording quiet sources through any preamp.
The R84A: An Active Version
For those without access to an ideal preamp, AEA offers the Active R84A (formerly known as the A840), a premium version of the R84 complete with JFET electronics and the same custom transformer used in our active R44. It’s basically an R84 with a built-in preamp.