The Melodium 42Bn is a new ribbon microphone directly inspired by its predecessor, the Melodium 42B.
The original microphone, made from the late ’40s until the late ’60s, had an advantage thanks to one part of its design: its ribbon was one of the largest ever made. Surrounded by 4 monster AlNiCo magnets, it delivered a smooth and warm sound through a specific step-up transformer, which was designed to change the impedance but also act as a passive filter The Melodium 42B compares favorably to its American and German peers of the same period.
The new Melodium 42Bn (the “n” is for “new”) is based on the same magnet technology, an improved motor, an overall improved mechanical construction, a custom-wound transformer allowing for a higher output impedance, and a classic XLR plug, making the microphone easy to use in a modern environment. We made the choice to remove the passive filter system, which doesn’t really belong in the studio environment anymore.
Melodium 42Bn Specification
- Principle: ribbon velocity
- Polar pattern: figure of 8
- Ribbon: pure aluminum 2.5 µm
- Magnets: AlNiCo 600
- Magnetic field strength: 4400 Gauss
- Sensitivity: -50dBV @1kHz re 1Pa, open circuit
- Output impedance: 300 Ohms
- Connector: XLR-3M
- Dimensions: 320 x 140 x 50 mm (12 x 5.5 x 2 inches)
- Weight: 2.7kg (4.4 lbs)
This pack includes:
- 1 x Microphone Melodium 42Bn, ribbon microphone 100% handcrafted in France
- 32 x 14 x 5 cm / 2,460 Kg
- 1 x Beech wooden box, handcrafted in France, french wood, cork wedging
- 36,5 x 19,5 x 9,5 cm / 1,2 Kg
- 1 x Microphone stand adaptator, standard ⅜”, aluminium
- 4,7 x 2 cm / 40gr
- 1 x Microphone mount, Brass 14 x 2,5 x 0,4 cm + elastic
- 20cm x 8mm / 200gr
- 1 x galvanized steel screw, M8
- 3 x 3,5 cm / 15gr
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.