Twin-Circuit Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
Painstakingly recreated with the utmost attention to detail; United's take on both vintage and modern variants of a very classic and much desired condenser microphone that has been used on countless hit records.
In Vintage mode, the UT Twin87 polarizes its capsule directly by phantom power voltages, taking advantage of an insulated, dual backplate capsule design — just as the earliest "87-style" microphones did. The high-Z and de-emphasis circuitry use all of the same component choices as the original. This yields a slightly warmer, softer and forgiving sound.
In Modern mode, the capsule is polarized at a higher voltage using an FET oscillator circuit as found on later revisions of the classic mic, yielding a higher capsule sensitivity and feeding a hotter signal into the amplifier circuitry. Its high-Z and de-emphasis circuitry likewise use all of the same component choices as much later “87-style” designs. This yields a louder, slightly brighter and more articulate response, with an extended top end reach and a more ‘up-front’ character.
- Modern / Vintage switch isn’t just some gimic, or voice-trickery — the entire circuit reconfigures itself to the original specifications, and energizes the capsule to the same specifications.
- Custom United 24k gold sputtered dual diaphragm/dual backplate K87 style capsule.
- Custom wound, American-made United transformer with 4x the iron mass of “other 87s”.
- The only “87-style” microphone that has options to engage/disengage it’s RF filter — a modular approach that captures both versions of the classic, as well as combinations inbetween!
- True-cardiod mod built right in; the very same modifcation done to vintage microphones by the most demanding of engineers, without sacrificing polar pattern selection.
- Absolute workhorse, a desert-island microphone for professional studios and voiceover work.
- Clean, clear, articulate, open sound. Low noise and high headroom and dynamic range.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.